.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of Extreme

My twisted view in My twisted words....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sarawak, Malaysia

Thursday, December 09, 2004

YOU GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!

Those of you who know me know that I wouldn't curse the F-word in public without a really good reason. And THIS is a really big reason! Normally, I would also put this in the metal blog, but this is just too shocking that even I'M having a hard time accepting it.
I just found out that Dimebag Darrell, founding member and guitarist for Damageplan, as well as ex-guitarist for Pantera, and all-round heavy metal GOD, was SHOT DEAD at a concert yesterday in Ohio! He was just 38.
Appearantly, Damageplan were just beginning their set when a fan got up on stage, then shouted something about Pantera's break-up before shooting Dimebag several times at point blank range and then turning the gun on the audience. A total of five people were confirmed killed including the gun-man.
I'm still in shock over hearing the news. Not to sound racist or anything, but I usually expect band shootings to only take place between rappers. Why can't someone shoot Eminem in the ass? This has to rank as one of the biggest shocks to the metal world since Dave Williams of Drowning Pool passed away while on tour on OZZFEST last year, and incidentally, it was Dimebag who got Drowning Pool signed to a record deal as well as giving Williams the nickname of "Stage".
I got into Pantera really late in the game, about the time of their last album "Reinventing The Steel", before they ultimately broke up, mostly with fingers pointed at singer Phil Anselmo. While Anselmo was all over the place in various side projects like Down and Superjoint Ritual, Dimebag Darrel and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul were forced to sit on the sidelines till they ultimately got fed-up and formed Damageplan in 2003.
And I'll never forget all the hilarious antics Pantera got into while on tour from the Vulgar Video series they released back in the day. Those were what really got me into the band. And it was Dimebag himself who inspired me to grow a goatee a few years back and even try to dye it red like he did.
This is definately a blow to the metal world as so many guitarists looked up to Dimebag as hands down one of THE BEST DAMN GUITAR PLAYERS IN THE WORLD!
Dimebag, I'd toast a beer to you if I drank alcohol. But I'll do the next best thing with a coke. Rest in Peace, Dimebag. You will be missed dearly.

Cue "This Love" by Pantera....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home